Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Is It OK to Post Bad Article Content?

I struggle with bad article content quite a bit. I consider myself a Power Blogger, which means I like to crank out a lot of content and crank it out quickly. I put my heart and soul into the writing that I do but sometimes I am not on top of my game and the stuff I produce is not as good as I would like.

I am writing this article right after I put something out that I did not love. The question is what do I do with it at this point...

1. Do I trash it completely? - Some pieces of content are far from being reparable. They are so bad that they should never see the light of day. If I produce one of these articles, I just strip out the best ideas and record a video. Depending on the level of passion, I have for the topic, I may rewrite the article from a new point of view.

2. Edit the work - This is the easy solution. Edit the work and make it better. This can work sometimes but I have found that many times when I edit the article, I make it worse than if I never touched it in the first place.

3. Put it down and come back the next day - The truth is we have no idea what we do well and how we perform. I find that my evaluation of my work is a better indication of my mental state, than it is of the quality of the work. Many times when I come back the next day, I do not have to make any changes or very minor changes. Things look a lot more different the next day, so go back to your work when you have the chance to review it again.

It does not matter what approach you take and the choice you make may be impacted by your end goal.

I have two goals -

1. Get better as a writer. I have two approaches - I write a lot. I study great writers.

2. Continually get compensated more for my writing - Based on this goal, I put stuff out there. I do run the risk of some of my work being criticized but I find that I am the worst judge of whether or not my work is good, especially since I lean more to the critical part

Either way, keep writing and keep working and you will see yourself getting better at an exponential pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment