Sunday, August 19, 2012

Are You More Productive With Your Article Writing During Daylight Savings Time?

The other day, I was talking to a fellow writer who happened to be working on her laptop at Starbucks. She looked intensively busy, for about 30 minutes straight, typing away. Then, she took a sip of her coffee, sat back and started gazing around the room. I told her I thought she might be working too hard. She laughed. She noted to me that she was a writer and was working on finishing up on a deadline. I explained to her that I was also a writer, and also self-employed, although in semi-retirement.

She asked me a very interesting question; "since we are now in daylight savings time, your productivity should increase, and you will have an hour extra per day to get work done." I thought this was funny, because quite frankly my production rate is fine, and I have something like 28,200 articles under my belt. Nevertheless, this was a rather intriguing line of conversation, and I wished to pursue it in case I might write an article about it; in fact, this is the article I wrote based on that conversation.

She explained to me that many creative writer types do their best work at night. When the sun goes down, things get quieter without all the distractions of the day. Daylight savings time means there's an extra hour of darkness during the nighttime hours when writers can be the most productive. This theory of hers made a lot of sense, and she said it was working for her, and always had. She noted that during the summertime and in the summer months she was not able to put out the volume she needed to, in order to really make ends meet.

Perhaps she is a starving writer, although she didn't say. I know for a fact that there are quite a few of those, and I guess it goes with the territory as the newspaper industry is cutting reporters, and there are more and more people trying to do freelance competing against each other. This drives the price down because of supply and demand; it's basically economics 101 you might say.

Interestingly enough, I did note that I was able to produce more content having more hours without daylight distraction. Along with this theory it would make sense that writers can produce more through the months of November, December, and January when there are the fewest hours of light because the days are shorter. That should work just fine unless you are working on solar electricity, because you wouldn't have enough time to charge the batteries to run your laptop to do the writing. Oh well, nothing in life is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment