Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Getting in the Right Frame of Mind to Write

The biggest challenge that a lot of writers have is writer's block. This article will discuss the best ways to get in the right frame of mind to write. Being set up and feeling good when you write will make a huge difference for your personal wellbeing and for the quality of the work that you produce.

I write first thing in the morning and, sometimes I am able to jump out of bed and get right at my work with vigor and passion. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I don't want to do anything. I have anxiety and worry and that dictates the work that I do. I can work myself through this place and some specific strategies below is what I do -

Do some breathing exercises for three minutes - I just focus on my breath for about three minutes. Doing this gets me back to a stable place and allows me to focus on the work that I am doing -

Prepare the night before - If you make your plan of what you are going to write the night before, your subconscious mind can go to work on doing some of the planning for you when you sleep. The additional advantage is that you can get up the next day and just let your fingers start working. It becomes a lot more natural if you do a little planning the night before. I suggest that you do this at least an hour before you go to sleep. You don't want your mind working on overdrive just before you go to sleep.

Practice getting a good night sleep - What does this have to do with your writing? Almost everything. No matter how good you are or how great the skills are that you possess, your body and mind need to repair themselves every single day. Get a good night sleep and make sure you get enough rest so that you can perform at your highest level the next day.

Do a practice run first thing in the morning - Pretend that you are going to throw out the first piece of content that you write. That way there is no pressure on you to do a good job. This is similar to stretching first thing in the morning when you wake up. If you write in this relaxed manner, you will probably find out that you produce great work. If you find out that the work that you produce is not so great, then you can just move on and throw that piece of work away.

Read a lot - Reading sparks creativity and gives you a lot of ideas that you can write about. It allows you to keep the mind fresh and full of great topics. The other advantage of reading a lot is that you will be able to learn from the techniques of those who write before you and borrow some of their practices.

Keep practicing and keep working and you will have amazing success in your writing adventures. Getting in the right frame of mind is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment